Who doesn’t love Battleforces? Aside from the undeniable satisfaction of opening up a REALLY BIG box of miniatures, saving money when building an army is always welcome – particularly if you can then use that money to get even more models. This week, we’ll be breaking down what’s in each Battleforce, how you might like to build them and the best next steps to take after you’ve got yours, whether you’re getting one for yourself this Christmas or you’re expecting one from a friend (lucky you!). Today, we’re checking out the Astra Militarum Battlegroup.
Astra Militarum armies are renowned for their size, with generals fielding vast columns of tanks and infantry on tabletops across the world. Collecting an army with a large number of models can be a little intimidating if you’re just starting out, while similarly, even seasoned Astra Militarum players are always on the lookout for the most cost-effective ways to bolster the ranks of their regiments.
Inside the Battlegroup, you’ll find:
- A Leman Russ Battle Tank, which you can optionally build as an Eradicator, Exterminator or Vanquisher.
- A Chimera, featuring a choice of a turret-mounted multi-laser, a turret-mounted heavy flamer, a turret-mounted heavy bolter, a hull-mounted heavy flamer, a hull-mounted heavy bolter, a hunter-killer missile and two different tank commanders.
- A Sentinel, which you can build as Scout or Armoured variants, armed with a choice of a multi-laser, a heavy flamer, an autocannon, a lascannon, a plasma cannon and a missile launcher.
- 3 Ogryns, which can be assembled as either Militarum Auxilla Bullgryns or Ogryns, with the option to build the special character Nork Deddog.
- A 5-man Cadian Command Squad, featuring choices of a sniper rifle, a heavy flamer, a plasma gun, a grenade launcher, a flamer, a meltagun, a powerfist, a chainsword, a power sword, a plasma pistol, a bolt pistol and a laspistol.
- 20 Cadian Shock Troops, featuring 20 lasguns, 4 chainswords, 4 laspistols, 4 grenade launchers, 4 flamers and 4 vox-casters, along with options to build 2 Sergeants.
The Leman Russ in the set can be built as a classic Leman Russ Battle Tank, a popular choice given the effectiveness of the battle cannon this edition. Consider, however, building yours as an Exterminator, Eradicator or Vanquisher to suit your needs on the battlefield – the Exterminator in particular excels at hurting heavy infantry and light vehicles with a torrent of autocannon fire.
The Ogryns can be constructed as Bullgryns if you’re looking for some more close combat punch. Of course, you could also build Nork Deddog and a pair of Ogryn Bodyguards to keep your characters safe (or fill out the Elites slots in a larger detachment).
The Cadian Shock Troops in the box can be built in a number of ways. While you might want to fill out your Troops slots with Infantry Squads, consider taking Veterans in their place – you may lose out on a few command points, but the extra BS and special weapon saturation really does help. If you’re looking for special weapons, the Command Squad included in the set is absolutely packed with them, so you’re bound to end up with some spares.
Finally, the Chimera itself is a very customisable kit! How you construct your Chimera will depend on the make-up of the rest of your squads. If you’re using yours as a ranged support firebase, then opt for two heavy bolters, while if you’re looking to bring some flamer-armed veterans to your front lines, double up on heavy flamers and cut through hordes with ease.
With Astra Militarum, there aren’t really any wrong answers as to how to continue expanding your army. The one thing we’d suggest when you’re going forward is picking up at least one extra Troops choice, whether it’s an additional Infantry Squad or some Tempestus Scions.
We’d recommend considering the online-exclusive Cadian Defence Force. This is a very similar set to the battleforce, trading Ogryns and the Sentinel for a heavy weapons squad – pick one up, and you’ll have a decent selection of tanks and a solid core of infantry to build the rest of your army around.
Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus helps you take your army in a different direction. With a Taurox, you’ll be able to mount up another squad of your infantry, while the Scions themselves are a great counter to power-armoured armies the rest of your force might struggle with. The Tempestor Prime makes a handy HQ, too, issuing two orders a turn.
Whether you’re looking for reinforcements for an existing army, or you’re tempted to start a new one, you can pick up the Astra Militarum Battlegroup here.
Powered by WPeMatico0